Saturday, December 6, 2008

Money saving tips in today's economy.

With the the stock market down and the unemployment rate rising, we are now in a recession. There are many things in our future that could be uncertain, and there are many different things we can do to tighten our budget without giving up our way of living.

I have decided to share a few small things that I do that are ways you can save money. You may not all agree with these things but when you implement these things into your daily living habits, the pennies will add up and can make a big difference in the way you spend money.

  • Cleaning - Over this past year I have discovered I can make my own cleaning products much cheaper than buying them. My home made cleaners I have found that there are many other benefits as well to using them. The cleaners are organic which means less fumes and I think they work better than what I buy in the store. Some basic household products you might need are; Baking Soda, Borax, Vinegar. To make your own cleaners here is a website that has a few recipes.
  • Meal Planning - I haven't always practiced this, but when I do I find that I don't spend nearly as much at the grocery store. By making a list of the ingredients you need for meals ahead of time this will eliminate the unnecessary things that you throw into the shopping cart that you don't need. When grocery shopping I try to do enough shopping to last for a minimum of 2 weeks to eliminate the need to go to the grocery store more than 2-3 times per month.
  • Shopping - When doing any type of shopping make a list of the things you need to get and plan a budget for your trip so you don't overspend. When your shopping take a look at different brands of items and choose what is the most economically correct thing for you to buy. Most store brand items it doesn't make a difference when you compare to that name brand product. By purchasing more generic items you can often save money, but you should always do what's right for you.

No comments: